Great list of tips for servers and bartenders via Upserve.com:
- Be pleasant. Greet everyone who enters warmly.
- Don’t refuse to seat three guests just because the fourth isn’t there yet.
- Be attentive, but not intrusive. Constantly scan the dining room, and if a guest needs attention—even if they’re not at your table—either help them or say you’ll send their server immediately.
- Your job is to help. Never say “I don’t know” to a guest’s question without immediately following up with “… but I’ll find out.”
- Be patient, and choose your moments. Never interrupt a conversation; wait for a lull to list the specials—and always include the prices. Don’t clear any plates until everyone is finished.
- Inform guests if the restaurant is out of something before they read the menu and order a dish you don’t have.
- Always bring all appetizers, entrees, and desserts at the same time. Never leave one guest hungry while everyone else is enjoying their food.
- Serve from a guest’s left, using your left hand, and clear from their right, using your right hand.
Read more tips here.